It is essential to understand that concrete floors on their very own are not in any way water-proof, in fact, as far as drinking water is anxious, normal concrete behaves like a dense sponge. 1 cubic meter of good high quality dry concrete will absorb the equal of roughly 60 liters of drinking water in just thirty minutes!
Concrete as a result demands a watertight membrane over it in damp places of the condominium this sort of as bathrooms, bogs and kitchens to quit h2o from obtaining to it in the very first place. The typical components utilized for interior waterproof membranes consist of a combination of tiles, waterproof grout, water-proof screeds, epoxy paints and water-resistant plastic sheeting.
The most typical lead to of a ceiling leak is a failure in the waterproof membrane or screed in the flooring slab of the upper floor apartment. The failure might be since of normal deterioration of the water-proof membrane, content harm or defective design/installation of the membrane. Whatsoever the cause, the membrane loses its waterproof houses and is no for a longer time able to stop drinking water from penetrating the porous concrete ground slab and seeping into the decrease component of that slab which forms the ceiling of the apartment beneath.
In get to repair the water-resistant membrane, all tiles, fixtures and everything else which could obstruct the fix works must be taken off. If the region is a rest room, the shower base and toilet pan might want to be removed.
Then a layer of water-proof membrane and screed demands to be applied to the complete ground area and, most importantly, extended up the encompassing partitions, close to pipes and more than the base of any doorway. Only after these materials have been utilized in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications must the fixtures and any surfacing be re-put in.
Ensure that your contractor follows the adhering to standard actions:
1. Get rid of ground tiles, screed, any bathroom pan, basin pedestal and shower base as nicely as outlet pipe fittings and any other fixtures. Regions about pipes should be hacked out marginally deeper (about 25 mm much more).
2. Clean the hacked floor, taking away all dust and loose particles.
3. Fill the places close to pipes with non-shrink grout.
4. Utilize a excellent top quality water-proof membrane onto the hacked floor. The membrane need to be upturned (up to one hundred fifty mm) from the walls, kerbs and pipes.
5. Permit the membrane to set for amongst six to twelve several hours dependent on manufacturer’s recommendations.
6. Reinstall bathroom pan and any other fittings.
7. Utilize a new layer of watertight screed, at the very least twenty mm thick, on to the surface. A mild gradient must be supplied for successful drainage. Screed should be remaining to harden for at the very least 12 hrs. The use of pre-packed watertight screed is recommended.
8. Reinstall any ground tiles, pedestals and so forth.
In sectional title living, internal water leaks are not as frequent as leaks through unenclosed balcony flooring.